Tuesday, May 12, 2009

1L Prep?

OK, perhaps I'm reading way too many gunner threads at top-law-schools.com's forums. Now I feel like I should go out and take LEEWS (which is incidentally started by a guy named Wentworth Miller, which reminds me of Wentworth Miller from Prison Break instead of success on law school written exams...), or read E&Es, as my summer regimen instead of...chick lit, NYT bestsellers, and a whole lotta fun. Probably won't end up doing the former anyway...since I'm a true procrastinator and terrible at prepping for long term. I just hope 1L doesn't slam me in the face for not having been in class in two years... I noticed that most of my future classmates (future being only 3 months! How time flies...), at least 50%, are straight out of undergrad. Now I feel old. Recent discussion with friends -- I feel closer to 30 than I do to 20. Isn't that scary?

Reading all the forum posts has me paranoid...people taking TYPING CLASSES so that they improve their WPMs so that they can write more on their law school finals. The funny thing is, typing 100+ WPMs doesn't really help if you don't have your shit together, regardless. It's not like typing fast = writing more, if you don't know what you're writing about. Although many years of chatting online has my WPM at about 110...so dayuuuum, I'm good =P Three to four hour written exams makes those Polisci finals on rural peasants in China seem like cake in comparison... Here's to hoping that a liberal arts education actually helped my analytical writing skills.

Currently reading: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. First recommended to me last year by Wendy. Finally got my hands on a copy, and the first twenty pages are good! The entire book is written in letter format, which took me a bit to get used to, since the characters are introduced via Dear _____, instead of traditional "Here's _____, she's tall, ambitious, blonde, blahblahblah". Hard to keep them straight, I had to keep flipping back and forth to figure out who was who. But this book is right up my literary alley -- based in England, about books, historical (post-WW2), and a lot of wit and fun.

Recently had an urge to reread the Harry Potter series. Particular favorites? Prizoner and Azkaban and Goblet of Fire...maybe Order of the Phoenix. I didn't like the last two quite as much, too much rambling. Or maybe I should reread The Half-Blood Prince before the movie comes out this summer.

No comments: