Sunday, May 3, 2009

On ordering flowers online

Now that the most flowerful holiday of the year's around the corner...aka Mother's Day, I was handed the task of ordering flowers online for my grandmother, who's currently visiting my uncle in Shanghai. Small problem with that -- I didn't even know you could order flowers online and send them to China! Sure, I've done the 1-800-Flowers thing and used FTD at some point to send my own mother flowers while I was 3000 miles away in California, but flowers across oceans?

Little research revealed that I had a few options -- order using 1-800-Flowers or FTD and be charged a minimum of $90 for a shoddy bouquet, order using a shady Chinese website with flowers around $20, order using a shady Chinese website that has English on it for flowers around $50, or shamelessly beg my uncle to do the honors instead.

I went with the shady Chinese website that has English on it. Needless to say, the next problem was actually inputting the address in. Two options -- address in English, albeit badly translated, or address in Chinese, albeit badly typed. I opted for entering both and hoping for the best.

So...here's to hoping that my grandmother gets her huge bouquet of roses/lilies on Mother's Day.

No comments: